General Knowledge Center Building Tours for Non-School Groups
General orientations to the Knowledge Center and its services are available for groups by appointment. Small groups may request tours on a walk-up basis and they will be accommodated if staffing is available. Use the form at right to schedule a tour by appointment.
For information about borrowing of library materials by non-UNR affiliates, see the Community Borrowers FAQ.
Please note: Due to safety and work flow issues, tours of the MARS automated retrieval system are not available.
Instructional Tours for School Groups
High school groups (grades 10 – 12):
University Libraries Research Services staff conduct instructional tours on a limited basis for high school groups. These sessions consist of a general orientation to the library's resources and are designed to acquaint users with the location of services and collections. Instructional tours may also provide either general or specific introductions to research collections and other materials available to support research. High school tours are subject to the following guidelines:
- All instructional tours must be scheduled at least one week in advance, with confirmation by letter, telephone or email. Please use the Request for an Individual or Non-UNR Group Tour form.
- Tour groups are limited to a maximum of 25 secondary school students.
- Tours are scheduled during the weekday between 8:30am-5:00pm. Tours will not be scheduled during the university's midterm and final exam periods. Scheduling is limited by UNR Library staff availability.
- Teachers and adult supervisors are expected to remain with their students at all times during a library visit. UNR staff cannot accept responsibility for supervising non-university groups.
- No exceptions are made to the Circulation Code for Community Borrowers. Community borrowers must be 18 years old or older, pay an annual fee, and are limited to having 10 books checked out at a time. See the Community Borrowers FAQ for details.
Other School Groups
- The UNR Libraries do not provide instructional tours for children under high school grades 10-12. Walk-through tours for other school children may be arranged through the UNR Office for Prospective Students (784-4700 or 1-866-2NEVADA). The Prospective Student Office staff will coordinate such tours with the University Libraries Research Services to avoid scheduling conflicts.
- Pre-high school visitor groups are required to be accompanied by one adult per every ten children.
- The UNR Libraries do not provide instructional tours for post-high school groups from institutions unaffiliated with the Nevada System of Higher Education.