UNSOM Campus Reno, Nevada
The University of Nevada School of Medicine launched our new integrated curriculum in the fall of 2012. This exciting curriculum replaces the previous discipline-based model with integrated blocks that offer a more consistent approach to teaching science concepts within a clinical context, limited lecture hours, and an emphasis on lifelong learning strategies. Each block will utilize a “case of the week” format to align course content with clearly defined objectives that map out the work necessary for successful student learning. Each block concludes with an assessment week for clinical skills testing and a comprehensive examination. The longitudinal Practice of Medicine course and Preceptorships in ambulatory care with local physicians run parallel to the blocks.
Our current third year curriculum consists of 6 clerkships - Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatric Medicine, Psychiatry, and Surgery - which can be taken in Reno and/or Las Vegas and a longitudinal Clinical Reasoning in Medicine course which runs parallel to the primary care clerkships. Students interested in a rural medicine experience can apply to complete their Internal Medicine and Pediatrics clerkships in Elko, Nevada.
The fourth year includes a mandatory 4 week Advanced Clinical Rotation in Rural Health and 32 weeks of electives.
For Further Information
For further information about medical education visit http://www.medicine.nevada.edu/dept/ome
UNSOM Campus Las Vegas, Nevada
2. Foundations and Principles of Medical Science I
3. Cardiovascular, Respiratory, and Renal Systems I
4. The Practice of Medicine I - Spring
5. Gastrointestinal, Endocrine, and Reproductive Systems I
6. Musculoskeletal and Integumentary Systems
7. Nervous System and Human Behavior I
2. Foundations and Principles of Medical Science II
3. Whole Body
4. Nervous System and Human Behavior II
5. The Practice of Medicine II - Spring
6. Cardiovascular, Respiratory, and Renal Systems II
7. Gastrointestinal, Endocrine, and Reproductive Systems II
8. The Context of Patient Care
Year 3 Clerkship Syllabi
UNSOM Campus Elko, Nevada